Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'm All About the Free Hugs

Years ago I saw a video about a guy named, Juan Mann, who was holding up a sign in Sydney, Australia, that said, “Free Hugs.” That video has always stuck with me. The Free Hugs campaign video has had over 68 million hits. I think that it has also stuck with a few other people. You can see it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

Two weeks ago, I went to see I Am, the Documentary. It’s a wonderful movie by director Tom Shadyac. In it, he showed a few snippits of the Free Hugs video and it got me thinking that I’d like to try something like that. I’m a big fan of hugs anyway. I’m the one at work who will freely give hugs to my coworkers who are having a tough day or have something going on in their lives that certainly can’t be hurt by a hug. I gave three hugs out to coworkers today. How many people can say they did that?

Tonight I went to a monthly business networking meeting for gays and lesbians that I’ve attended here and there. I decided to write on my name tag, FREE HUGS (with Barbara underneath in parentheses). I was rather well-received. What a nice way to meet someone with a hug vs. even a handshake! I knew a few people from past meetings or from circles of friends. But, I ventured out to meet new people and to introduce myself. Lots of people are shy or very business-like at these things. But, they’re there. I think a hug can totally break the ice or make someone feel immediately comfortable with you. I had a lot of great conversations and met a lot of nice, new people tonight.

If more and more people began to greet each other with hugs or just give out more hugs to people they may or may not even know, could you imagine how the vibrations of this world could change? Those vibrations of positive energy would just continue to spread more and more. With it, I’m envisioning a world of peace and hugging. I know I’m an optimist but that’s not a bad thing. Now, if only we could work on the kissing thing…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments. Thanks!